Heirs of Joseph S Deputy No. 18147 VS. The United States


14 Dec 1874,   Case of Joseph S Deputy, M.D.
Read all pages here 
Claim 18147 for $58,757.00,  Phillips Co, Arkansas

Before the Commissioners of Claims appointed under Act of Congress of Mch.3,1871
----------,,-------------
In the matter of the claim of the heirs of Joseph S Deputy
No. 18147

VS.
The United States

To the honorable Commissioners of said Commission;

The Claimants in the above entitled case, by Gilbert Moyers their attorney, would respectfully offer for your consideration the following Statement of the Case, and the following Propositions or Allegations of Fact, which are respectfully claimed to be established by the evidence herein, as shown by the Summary or Analysis of Facts hereinafter set forth.

I. Statement of the Case
The claimants herein would respectfully represent that the said Joseph S Deputy was a native of the state of Indiana, and afterwards removed to, and became a resident of, the state of Arkansas, location at Helena in the County of Phillips, that he there engaged in the practice of medicine, and by his skill, industry and faithfulness, not only established a large and lucrative practice, but accumulated a large amount of property, both real and personal; that both prior to the Rebellion, and at the time of the occupation of Helena by the United States troops under command of Gen.Curtis, his said real estate consisted of a large and extensive plantation, situated about 3 miles from the Town of Helena, and comprising about 800 acres; that the same was entirely surrounded by a good and suitable rail fence, and in a very good state of cultivation, with a fine dwelling house thereon, a large three-story gin  house with lint room attached, a very large barn and cribs, together with a number of double and single houses for the slave population kept upon the place, numbering at this time about one hundred and fifty-two.

The claimants would further represent that, at the time of said occupation, the said plantation was finely stocked with carriage and riding horses, mules, cattle, and oxen, hogs and sheep, both as to the number and quality; and in addition thereto was well provided with corn, both in shuck and growing,  with fodder and with hay, for the keeping of said live stock and other purposes; and was well furnished with supplies, consisting of groceries, pork and other provisions, for the subsistence of the white and colored families living thereon.

The claimants would further represent that when said troops occupied Helena, as aforesaid they were entirely destitute of the necessary supplies for man and beast; and were wholly dependent upon the surrounding country for the same, that while thus subsisting on the country, detachment from said Army visited said plantation from time to time for the purpose of procuring supplies thereupon for the use of said Army, and continued so to do, until they had thus taken and appropriated all the live stock aforesaid, with one or two unimportant exceptions, all the corn, both growing and in shuck, all the supplies stored as aforesaid on said plantation, the entire fence surrounding the same, and all the lumber and plank which entered into the construction of said negro houses, barn, gin house, and lint room, together with some lumber used to cover the roof of a saw mill owned and run upon said plantation, said lumber and fence having been used for barracks, and other purposes.

The claimants would further represent that during the period of excitement and agitation preceding and pending the secession of the said state of Arkansas, said Joseph S Deputy exerted his influence, actively and to the utmost of his ability, both in public and in private to prevent the consumption of what he  regarded "the most lamentable thing in the world", to wit the attempt of the southern states to secede from the Union; abd though his efforts were unavailing, he still adhered to the principles and sentiments thus advocated, and maintained thereafter his said state had attempted to secede, and remained and was known as a staunch and uncompromising Union man up to the day of his death, and was so esteemed and regarded by the United States military authorities.

The claimants would further represent that said Joseph S Deputy departed this life in the month of Sept, 1862, within a few weeks after the occupation of Helena as aforesaid, that he left him surviving one son and two daughters, one of whom has since intermarried with one Penney, that the claimants are his only children, and sole heirs at-law, and the only persons interested in, or entitled to, an award herein.

II. Propositions of Fact 

Allegation First
That said Joseph S Deputy departed this life in the month of Sept 1862 and left him surviving the claimants herein; that they constitute his sole and only children, and his sole and only heirs at law; and as such are entitled to all the rights that accrued to said decedent under and by virtue of said Act of Congress.
The facts alleged in the first part of the above proposition, are established by the following evidence.


First.
By the documentary evidence herein, consisting of the Register of Births and marked Exhibit "A"


Second.
By the testimony of the following witnesses.

                          1st
I.U. Swank p.4 Dep.p.2 - The Dr. at this time (1862) was about 50.  All his children were young. Mrs.Penney was the oldest; the Tina, then a son. I think he died in the fall of 62'. 2 or 3 months after Gen.Curtis arrived. The oldest daughter was 7,8 or 10. p.5 Dep
 
                          2nd
John M Powell u p.13 Dep.p.2.   The Dr's family consisted of 3 or 4 children, small, the oldest not more than 10 or 12. Mrs.Deputy was dead.
    
                          3rd
W.B. Worshaun, p.17. Dep.p.203   The Dr's children came into the office, and in 52-3 they were from 7 to 12.  One was Quintina, and Mark Alexander was the son.
I am remiss about names and could not say the oldest's name was Lucy. The eldest married Mr.Penney.

                          4th
William H Morgan testifies, (p.31 Dep = p.3) Dr.Deputy's family consisted of 2 girls and 1 boy, the oldest not over 12. The Dr's health at this time was not good; He died in Sept we entered Helena in July.

                          5th
Tina Deputy testifies (p.55 Dep = p.3)  Daughter of Dr.Deputy, deceased. Have a sister Lucy, who is 22, and a brother Mark, who is 19. My sister married a little over 2 years ago. Gen.Curtis came there July 12; and he was brought up to the town in Sept. where he died. 


Proposition Second
That said Joseph S Deputy, dec'd, maintained an active and decided opposition to all the measures proposed, and finally adopted, to carry said State of Arkansas out of the Union; and while the same were pending, he labored with all the influence he could exert, both in public and in private, not only by his own personal endeavors but by procuring the personal efforts of others, to prevent the adoption and consummation of said measures; and although said efforts were unavailing, and although his said State seceded, he still maintained the principles and sentiments he had advocated, and remained, as he always had been, one of the truest and most unflinching of Union men up to the day of his death, and was thus regarded and esteemed by the United States military authorities.

The above strong allegation is fully established by the testimony of the following witnesses.
 
                          1st
I.M. Swank, after stating that he was as intimately acquainted with Dr.Deputy as any one man, testifies on p.1 Dep=p.4  I know that during all the excitement previous to the war, he was a strong union man, and perhaps as open in his expressions as any one man there, unless it was Mr.Castile. He was a decided opponent to secession (p.2 Dep=p.4) and an out spoken and a strong union man. I heard him frequently in controversy with citizens, who differed with him.  He had a good deal of influence, and talked much on public matters.  A vote was taken as to holding the convention, that afterwards passed the secession ordinance.  I don't know how he voted; but by general reputation, (p.3 Dep=p.5 ) he was one who voted against the ordinance.  I can not state any special conversation; I just know from his general conversation and talk. (p.4. Dep=p.5) on the streets there when I met him, that he was always an outspoken Union man.  He was not in the least complicated with the rebellion, (p.5 Dep=p.5 Ast) no connection whatever.  I am positive about that.  After secession he took the same position as before.  He thought the whole thing wrong and that it would result disastrously to the South and that a great mistake was made; that if we had any grievances, to pursue a different course to address them.  I don't think (p.6 Dep=p.5 ) he ever went with his state, as it is called.  I think he was always opposed to the action taken and regretted it deeply.  I don't think he ever acceded to it in any way. He never furnished supplies to confederates, as I ever heard of or heard intimated.

                          2nd
John M Powell after stating his intimacy with Dr.Deputy, says (p.7 Dep=p.6 Abst.) He was one among the few who were Union men: he ignored the doctrine of secession. I had repeated conversations with him before and after the war. In 1862, after the Federals had taken Helena, he came to my house with a speculaton to buy cotton of my little nephew - an orphan boy, and had the gentleman buy over 500 bales; (p.8 Dep p.6 Abs)  he only secured 180 or 200 bales, the balance being burned by the secessionists.  Even where he came with this speculation he talked politics.  The conversation was only confirmatory of the talk we had before about secession before the war, that it would ruin us, and that he was thoroughly opposed to it, and should take no part in it.  I believed he sympathized with the Union, and avoided all complications with the Rebellion.  I believe he was one among the few, and I would not say it of but a few in the south, and he was one, who was opposed to secession, and would have nothing in the world to do with it.  There were only 5 or 6 about Helena that way.  Mr.Coolidge was one (p.9 Dep=p.7) and Judge Hanly.  I only knew 4. 5 or 6, who were Union men according to my knowledge.  The Dr. was regarded as a union man.  I have had talks with Mr.Coolidge, Col.Myers (another union man) and several others as to who were union men, and the Dr was always included in the list. Never heard a man (p.10 Dep=p.7) question or doubt it. He was respected and protected by U.S. Military authorities.
                          3rd
W.B. Worshaun testifies, (p.14 Dep=p.8 Abt) I was frequently in the Dr's company, and had conversations with him on the subject of secession, (p.15 Dep=p.8) and in substance he always said it would lead us to ruin, the whole thing was wrong, and he was against it. That is the sum and substance. It was the general talk that he was a union man. He was of my sentiments, my friends would frequently say to me Capt anderson, our former representative in the Legislature, said to me one day , You are not quite so strong as Dr.Deputy is; for in a conversation the other day in regard to the dissolution of the Union, he wept like a child.  I was with Judge Hanks and Col.Powell repeatedly.  The union men told me, (p.10 Dep=p.8) he voted with me and my friends.  I was a union, and voted against secession.  I have heard him on the streets, he was an excitable man.  Have heard him prior to secession.  When Gen.Hardeman was trying to arouse the people, the Dr. got Mr.Thomason to meet him on the stump, and argue the questions. I heard him myself on the pavement there, say he thought it was the most lamentable thing in the world, and he hoped Mr.Thomason might crush him. Mr.Thomason was a union man , and oonce an M.C.   I only knew by hearing of threats against the Dr. (p.17 Dep= p.9) We were very private in our conversations, and would indicate that certain men were threatened; but never gave names.  We did not know how to count noses at one time.  I cannot state any thing very definite upon that subject; but there was not a man who stood better as a union man than he did, from hearsay and so far as my opportunities extended.  As to how he was regarded by U.S. Military authorities, my remembrance is that some of the subordinate officers spoke of lamenting his death: he was regarded as one of the union men.
                          4th
William H Morgan, after stating that he was in the army from 61-66, and Adjutant of Brigade at Helena, states(p.18 Dep=p.9)  I there made the acquaintance of Dr.Deputy; he was one of the first citizens to visit us. I was very intimate with him afterwards. He avowed himself a union man. I frequently visited him on his plantation.  He often had conversations, (p.30 Dep p.10) at our headquarters and on his plantation with Gen.Washburne and myself.  I can not remember exactly what took place then; but I remember distinctly he always deplored the war; said he had never gone for secession, and would rather die first. He was an out and out union man; there was no mistake about that, and a very strong republican. I speak of his actions and general conversations.  He took the oath as soon as the Prvst Marshalls Office was open; all citizens were required to do that.  The Dr. was regarded, (p.35 Dep p.10) by Gen. Washburne as a union man and I think would say so were he here.
                          5th
Tina Deputy (p.56 Dep= p.10) says, I am daughter of Dr.Deputy, dec'd.  I know my father was very much opposed to the war, and that he was what they called a Union Man at the time.

Allegation Third  
That when the United States troops occupied Helena July 12, 1862, said Joseph S Deputy was the owner and continued so to be until the day of his death, of a very extensive plantation, comprising 800 acres, the greater portion of the same, if not all, being enclosed by a good rail fence; that the same possessed such buildings and other improvements as were then found on the better class of southern plantations, that is to say, a very fine dwelling house, a very large 3 story gin house with a corresponding lint room attached, a saw mill, a large and capacious barn with two cribs, and a number of double and single negro houses for the use of the colored people, owned and kept upon said plantation and number said year about 152; that , in addition to the above fixtures and at the date aforesaid, said Joseph S Deputy was the owner, and kept upon said place, a very large and valuable amount of personal property, that is to say, about 32 head of mules, 8 head of saddle and carriage horses, 16 oxen, 42 head of cattle, about 300 hogs exclusive of the pigs, and 70 head of sheep; also a very large quantity of corn in shuck, stored in the said barn and cribs, about 350 acres of growing corn, a number of stacks of fodder and bales of hay, and a large quantity of supplies for consumption upon said plantation, consisting of molasses, sugar, pork and bacon; that within a few weeks after the occupation of Helena, the said troops, being dependant upon the country for supplies, took and appropriated to their own use all of the aforesaid personal property, together with the fence upon said plantation, and all the lumber and planks, which entered into the construction of said barn, the lower part of said gin house, the lint room, the negro buildings and saw mill.

So much of the foregoing as refers to the ownership in fee of said plantation, is established by the Transcript of Title, filed as evidence herein, and marked Exhibit "B"

The remaining allegations contained in said propositions are established by the testimony of the following witnesses.

[Remark.  We first gave the testimony of witnesses, where statements are of somewhat a general character.]
 
                           1st
I.M. Swank  (p.3 Dep p.11)  I think most of this property was taken after the army came, in July August and September. (p.8 Dep p.11)
  
                         2nd
John M. Powell (p.11 Dep p.11) I knew pretty much how Dr.Deputy's plantation was stocked when the Federals first came.  He had a very well stocked place, and a beautiful plantation.  I think he cultivated between 500 and 600 acres. It was very well stocked with mules, horses, cattle, hogs, and goats I think.  He had every thing a gentleman could desire on his plantation.  He took a great deal of pride, (p.12 Dep p.11) in having nice stock, nice mules, carriages and saddle horses.  I was there several times in 62 after the Federals took possession.  I think they took it all.  I don't know of my own knowledge really - yes, I do too.  They took his mules and stock generally for the use of the army.   He told me that himself I believe.  I am of the impression they took his mules to keep the rebels from getting them; that they had better take them for the use of the army.  They took them, though I did not see it.
                           3rd
W.B. Worshaun (p.18 Dep p.12) As to property being taken, I will state only what I know.  A few days after the army came, I recieved a note from Gen.Curtis to call and see him. While there, some Federals came up with stock and said, we have been to Dr.Deputy's and got a very fine lot of stock from him.  He was a calvary man, and stopped to talk with some officer.  That is all I know, except it was the general report that the Federals had cleaned out his place. 

                            4th
William H Morgan, after stating on p.29 that he was Brigade Adjt. says on p.32 Dep p.21. We went into Helena and opened communications.  We had no provisions, and had to take supplies where we could get them.  It must have been sometime before we got supplies from regular sources, for I.M. Winslow had to wait to get a boar to go to Memphis, the nearest point we had.

As to the taking of the Dr's property, all I know is, Capt.Lowell, I.M. of the Post, was sent out with wagons, and details of men, and went on the Dr's place and others, and took all the fodder, corn and animals they could get hold of to supply the men and beasts with food.  I knew of my own knowledge, (p.33 Dep p.21) that the I,M. of my own Regiment there with details of men and took property.  I was not on the plantation, but he reported he had been to such a plantation, and taken so many wagons of corn, and reported taking corn from Dr.Deputy's place.  I don't remember the amount.  Some of the corn was ground for bread and some was used.
 

Int. Do you know of their taking any stock from there? 
Ans. They took stock to supply our army; beef and pork.

[Remark, we now give the testimony which is more specific in character, first giving the items, and then the testimony touching the same]

Mules

 
Edward Proctor, p.1 Dep p.13, I lived on the Deputy place during the war.  I saw the union troops take property that was the mules. They caught all they could get; some were in mule lot, and some out on the place. I was in the yard and went out into the lot; don't remember how many they took that time.  They took mules twice, (p.4 Dep p.13) There were 32 mules on the whole place, he had more I think, about 38 head (p.27 Dep p.20) when Gen.Curtis came. But I know they took that many (32 head) Two or three days after they came a second time, and took, (p.5 Dep=p.13) 10 or 12; I saw them. They drove them up out of the woods, and I paid strict attention, because there were two we never could get hold of to handle, and we saw them drive into the lot, and catch them without any trouble. I think they got 10 or 12 the last time; I don't remember exactly, because (p.6 Dep=p.14) there were so many of them, and I was sort of excited.

Ned Alexander, upon this item, says (p.46 Dep=p.24) they took 32 head of mules. I know there were 32, because I was on the place and I know how many we had. They were all working mules, no colts, as we did not raise, and always bought.
 

Horses
 
Edward Proctor
on p.5 Dep=p.14 says, The third time they came they took horses. They took 7 from the lot. (p.6 Dep=p.14) and one that was outside went off with them. I saw them when they started. There were 2 big greys, 1 big black, 1 sorrel, 1 grey mare and 2 bays. All were good, one was about 2 years old. The Dr. had (p.27 Dep p.20) 8 horses.

Ned Alexander, upon this item, says (p.46 Dep=p.25) I saw them take 2 horses - the carriage horses from the stable. I saw them take them towards the camp they were big greys.  These were other horses around there (p.47 Dep=p.20) He owned about 8, and I don't believe they had one after the army left. They were all taken, or disappeared, and I did not see any of them afterwards.


Corn in Shuck


Edward Proctor says on p.7 Dep=p.14, that on the third day they took corn from the barn. The barn was very large, and then there were too large cribs besides. They came with their teams, had 40 wagons I should think, and made two trips the first day. There seemed to be more wagons the second day, and they kept coming until the last time, when some didn't get loads there and went on. They hauled all there was, (p.9 Dep p.15) in the cribs and in the barn, and did not leave enough for bread. I don't know (p.26 Dep=p.2) how many acres were in corn in 61, but he never cultivated less than 350 acres, which yielded from 40 to 45 bu pr acre, and the crop of 61 was all housed in the barn and cribs; none had been used from the barn and one crib.
Ned Alexander says (p.36 Dep=p.22) I saw them take corn, it was in the barn. 35 wagons came the first time. They came for 2 or 3 weeks off and on. The largest barn was 40 x 80 and the corn (p.37 Depp.22) was in the body part near up to the plates, where the rafters come 12 ft high.  It was just a barn full of corn, no stack kept there, made on purpose for corn and all in it was corn. The corn (p.38 Dep=p.23) was in the shuck. There was corn also in 2 big cribs 18 x 20 and 10 or 12 ft high. One was full (p.40 Dep=p.23) the other had been used out of until July. That was all the corn we used from fall until July.  You know we did not feed the cattle as they do here. We also had some corn in the stable for the carriage horses.  Our meal was ground in a mill on the place (p.41 Dep=p.23)


Fencing or Wood


Edward Proctor testifies (p.9 Dep p.15) They took all the fence away except a little around a yard.  There were 800 acres under cultivation that year (p.10 Dep p.15) all of this was under a good wood fence, 10 rails high, some of it staked and ridered. I don't know how many miles of fence he had, (p.27 Dep p.20) He had two cross fences besided the lots - one of about 10 acres for pasture for his horses, and the other a yard for cows and calves.
Ned Alexander says (p.41 Dep p.23) There was about 800 acres under fence; it was all around the 800 acres.  There was a wood cross fence through the farm.


Growing Corn


Edward Proctor testifies (p.11 Dep p.15)That there was between 300 and 400 acres of corn. It was getting hard when they came.  It gets hard in July, and they did not disturb the field corn until they got the other away, which was along in August.  They went through the field and gathered when it was hard.  They pulled the shuck ear (p.12 Dep p.16) and all, and cut up the balance and put into their wagons. They carried it all to camp.  I know some was fed, and some hauled to the canal.
Ned Alexander testifies (p.41 Dep p.23) We had corn growing when they came, they gathered it, (p.42 Dep p.23) by pulling some off the stalks and cutting some green and hauling it off. They took it all. There were 350 acres that they took. About 200 acres (p.54 Dep p.27) was ripe enough to gather when they came; the rest was in roasting ears and getting hard.  It was not all planted at same tiime.  Hauled average of 40 bushels. 


Molasses


Edward Proctor testifies (p.13 Dep p.16)The molasses was in the larger smoke house.  Could not tell how much he had.  I know I hauled 8 brls from Helena myself.  He always laid in his supplies for the year.
Ned Alexander testifies (p.43 Dep p.24) I know how much molasses the Dr had. I know how much was in the barrels, when they came, he had used some of it up. He had at the time 14 brls and the soldiers took every bit of it.  I saw them. I was right there when they took it out of the rooom.  They put it in Govt. wagons, and hauled it off.  The Dr. had laid in supplies along the first of Mch (p.54 Dep p.27)


Sugar


Edward Proctor testifies (p.13 Dep p.16) He had sugar also, which was in the smoke house at the house, (p.14 Dep p.16) I know it was taken.  I know this much about it, when they broke in the sugar was in the brl and I know they did not leave any.
Ned Alexander testifies (p.43 Dep) He had sugar too with the molasses. I could never give any account of 12 brls.


Pork


Edward Proctor testifies (p.14 Dep p.16) I don't know how much meat he had at the house, but 25 or 30 brls of pork at the Quarters.  There was more than that hauled there. I know it because I saw it there.  I hauled it from town along in April before cotton planting.  I took 2 loads, 13 brls at a load. I had 4 yoke of steer to the wagon (p.16 Dep p.17)  I saw the army take some of it in Govt. wagons with 4 and 6 mules attached.  They took the rest by knocking the barrels in and taking the pieces among themselves.  They were camped not a mile from us.
Ned Alexander testifies (p.44 Dep p.24) That they had pork in the 'store room' with the sugar and molasses. There were 15 brls pork.  I remember that disctinctly.  They hauled it off to camp in wagons.  I did not pay attention to the number of loads, but feel certain there were 15 brls, because I hauled them, I was the wagoner part of the time. 


Bacon


Edward Proctor testifies (p.17 Dep p.17) They had bacon besides the pickled pork, in the smoke house.  It was all together.  I saw it taken.  They drove wagons there and threw it in piece by piece.  They took it all. They said they were out of rations, and bound to have it.
Ned Alexander (p.45 Dep p.24) There was bacon that we killed on the place in the smoke house, not what I call the store room. I saw it there hanging up. The smoke house was 20 ft square.  I could not tell how many pieces; it was all there; we killed 250 hogs, and you can judge from that.  They took it all.  (p.46 Dep p.24)They beat the door in, put it on their wagons and hauled it off. 


Cattle & Oxen


Edward Proctor testifies (p.18 Dep p.17) I know about the troops taking cattle and oxen.  I did not see them take but one ox, but the other wagoner said they took them out of his team.  They killed the ox I saw, right in the lane, skinned him, and took all but his head.  That was not all the cattle I saw.  They drove the others away by droves.  I can't say how many I saw drive away.  I had charge of Mr.Deputy's and Mr. Cooper's.  I don't know (p.19 Dep p.18) how many of the Dr's they took, but I know he had 42 head among our cattle, because I counted them every day; that was my business. I saw them drive them and Cooper's too; they drove them off together.  I don't know whether they took all the 42 or not, there were so many I did not go among them to see. I just saw their driving them along.  They were all sizes, yearlings, good sized young steers, milch coms and oxen.  


[Remark. This witness incidentally gives evidence upon the item on p.11 Dep p.15 in his testimony about growing corn. He is asked if cattle, horses, etc didn't run over the corn, when they took the fences away, and he replies; They left no cattle, horses, or hogs there.  After they had been there two weeks, there was hardly a cow or hog to be seen.] 



Ned Alexander (p.48 Dep p.26) I saw them take cattle and oxen. He had 8 yoke, and they took all.  I attended and drove them. I believe they carried them off, because they took 2 yoke from me in the wagons.  They took the others from the field, and drove them to camp. I saw some of the cattle taken.  They did not take them all at once, but came off and on. They were running in the woods with Cooper's & Hubbard's cattle. I remember distinctly of seeing some of them driven off: saw as many as 6 killed, but can't remember how many I saw driven off. There were more than 6 driven off, near 15 as fas as I can recollect.


Hogs


Edward Proctor (p.20 Dep p.18)I saw them take hogs from the place when they first came. They got all their supplies there then, and I reckon they killed from 25 to 30 a day or more. They would just shoot them down, skin, and carry them away. They were there every day, until pretty well gone. I hardly know how many we had, but would say 300 without the pigs. I don't recollect but seeing 2 left.
Ned Alexander (p.50 Dep p.26)  They drove off near 100 hogs, as near as I can guess. We had about 250. and I suppose they drove off more than 100, but I did not see more than that. (read remark on preceding page)


Sheep


Edward Proctor (p.21 Dep p.18)  I know the Dr. had sheep but never counted them.
Ned Alexander (p.50 Dep p.26) I saw some driven off and some killed.  He had 70, and they took every one. They drove about 20 the first time. They came again and drove off about 15, and killed a lot, probably 20 or 12, and packed them off on their horses, leaving the hides. 


Fodder


Edward Proctor (p.21 Dep p.18)  I saw some taken. He had 10 stacks. 1000 bundles and sometimes 500 are put in a stack.  I don't know how many stacks of 500 there were. When we put it up for all winter, we made very large stack and some were very small.
Ned Alexander (p.51 Dep p.26) There were 6 stacks of it near that big barn from 4 to 5.  The bundles were from 1 to 2 pounds each they took all. 


Hay


Edward Proctor (p.22 Dep p.19)I did not see the hay taken. It was in bales stacked in a rack under the shed. I suppose there were some 50 or 60 bales, the way the stacks looked.  Am not positive about that.
Ned Alexander (p.51 Dep p.26) They had hay in bales from Helena flat boats . Think we had 30 bales. He had used some.  I don't know how much was left, but they took all that was left.  Some bales average 300, soome  not so much.


Dwellings & Barns


Edward Proctor (p.22 Dep p.19) They took the dwelling houses and barn, hauled them to camp and made their winter Barracks. There were 8 double houses, with rooms about 14 x 16, and 4 single houses 12-14 or 18 ft square and 3 servants houses near the Dr's dwelling.  They were all made of weather boards and planks, 1/2 inch board regular frame.  (p.23 Dep p.19) The barn was very large, what we call 'fams' (p.24 Dep p.19) It had a regular frame, and I think 70 or 80 ft x 35 or 40. It was put like a big frame house and there a low shed around it. (p.25 Dep p.19) All these things were taken, hauled off and used for soldiers quarters.
William H Morgan (p.34 Dep p.21)There was a fine residence and the usual negro cabins. They were taken as I understand it to use for the army. I was at the Dr's several times after his death, and it was dilapidated the last time I was there. A house was standing but most of the buildings were down. It was like all plantations visited by the army. Said witness was Brigade Adjt. in U.S. Army.
Ned Alexander (p.53 Dep p.37) They tore down the buildings in the Quarters; just took the lumber off for their quearters. There were a dozen or so of those houses.


Gin House


Edward Proctor (p.28 Dep p.19)There was a gin  house and the lint room was taken to make barracks. It was an awful large gin, 3 story, a big frame, weather boarded up and the lint room was behind it. 


Int: About 20 x 20 or 40?
Answ: More than that, about 80.


Ned Alexander (p.52 Dep p.26)The soldiers took off the lower part of the gin house, it was 3 stories, and hauled the lumber and made barracks, leaving the frame standing.  They tore the planks from the lint room and left the frame.  It was larger than this room, and had 3 gin stands that they blow lint in.  The length of the gin house was greater than the lint room.


Saw Mill


Ned Alexander (p.53 Dep p.26) The saw mill was off on one side.  They took nothing but the lumber on the roof. It was not as large as the gin house, only a shed, it was the same length.

Return to Dr Joseph Deputy, M.D. genealogy page