Admin. Bond C.J.A. on the Estate of Jeremiah Deputy, dec'd, July 22, 1845
Widow Jamima Deputy and family friend John W. Hudson are bound
as estate administrators for $1,000.
Inventory of the Goods & Chattels of Jerrymiah Deputy d., also List of Debts & Credits, Jeremiah Deputy, d., collected and appraised by James H. Hudson and Joshua Truitt, appraisers, hired Aug. 27, 1845, report delivered to Sussex Co. court Jan. 25, 1846
Inventory valuation: $522.82-1/2
(list of items & values omitted from this transcript)
List of Debts owed the estate of Jeremiah Deputy:
James B. Ralston, total $157.31
Elisha Cary, total $8.17
William Hatfield, total $12.00 (Note: “Payable in work”)
Elias Coverdale, $1.50 for book
Jeremiah Deputy, negro, to ox hire: $15.00
Solomon Willis, negro, to book accounts: $8.40
1st & Final Accounting of the Estate of Jeremiah Deputy, d’c’d,
Jan. 23, 1846, John W. Hudson, Adm
Total Account Assets ............................. $539.32-1/2
Total Estate Expenses Charged .............. $97.79-1/2
Distribution to Jemima Deputy, widow...$512.17-3/4 $609.97-1/4
Amount overpaid from estate ................. ($70.64-3/4)
Will of Jeremiah Deputy, proved 22 July 1845
In the name of God, Amen, I, Jeremiah Deputy of Cedar Creek Hundred, Sussex County and State of Delaware, bring weak in body but of sound disposing mind memory and judgment do make this my last will and testament in manner and form, following viz:
Imprimus. It is my will that all my just debts and funeral charges be paid.
Item. I give, desire and bequeath unto my beloved wife Jamima Deputy all my estate both real and personal during her life.
Item. I give and desire unto Peggy Tatman, wife of James Tatman, after the death of my wife Jamima the tract of Land and appertunances thereunto belonging whereon the said James Tatman now dwells, it being the land that I purchased at Sheriff’s sale late the property of Zadoc Richards, to her the said Peggy Tatman, her heirs and assigns forever.
Item. I give desire and bequeath unto my grandson, James B. Deputy, son of my Son Solomon Deputy, dcd, after the death of my wife Jamima the Balance of my Real estate and all my personal property which has been given to my wife during her life, conditioned as follows, that is to say my wife be permitted to remain on the farm I now live on and also the farm I purchased of my brother Solomon Deputy which I had […] Solomon which said farms I am now in possession of and ever hand them as my property and that my estate shall not be accountable for any rent for the same nor shall my wife during her life time then above divide to my said grandson James B Deputy his heirs and assigns forever. But in case my said grandson should die without a lawful issue […] in that went the above division of land and also the bequeath of the personal property to be to my brothers and sisters equally or their Lig(?) & Representatives, their heirs and assigns forever.
Item. It is my will and I hereby order that my Negro woman Ritta after the death of my wife shall be free and at her own liberty.
Lastly, I do hereby constitute and appoint my Beloved wife Jamima and my friend John W. Hudson executors of this my last will and testament – and it is my desire also I do hereby order that my wife Jamima shall raise and school my grandson James B. Deputy clear of any charges and if my said wife should die before my said grandson arrive at lawful age I appoint my said friend John W. Hudson trustee to said James B. Deputy.
In witness whereof I have […] my hand and seal this twenty second day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty three (1833).
Jeremiah (his X mark) Deputy
Signed, Sealed, Published, pronounced, and declaimed by said testator to be his last will and testament in presence of us: D.R. Smith Luke Pos
--
To James Parker, Register for the probate of wills and granting letters of Administration in and for the county of Sussex, we do hereby tender to you our resignations as Executors of the last will and testament of Jeremiah Deputy late of said county, decd, hereby refusing to act as such under the will of the said decd, as witness our hand this 22nd July A.D. 1845.
Jemima (her X mark) Deputy John W. Hudson
Attested by James A. Parker, reg.
------------- END
Source, sbechman@sbcglobal.net
Return to Jeremiah Deputy 1775 page